Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
...

Address

Office Location:


2145 Suttle Avenue
Charlotte,
NC 28208

MAP

Contact

Anganette Byrd
704-336-2455

District History and Organization

Mecklenburg County was organized as a part of the Lower Catawba Soil and Water Conservation District on March 18, 1940. It consisted of two other counties: Gaston and Lincoln. It separated from the original district to form a county district on December 10, 1963.

The Mecklenburg Soil and Water Conservation District consists of:

  • 336,530 acres
  • Traditional crops are soybean and small grain straw 
  • Main crops are nursery and greenhouse crops


Significant Events:

  • J. Earl Teague masterminded and headed the Miracle Conservation Field Day on October 14, 1948. It was called "Miracle Farm Day 1948."
  • The Mecklenburg Soil Survey was completed in 1975.
  • In the spring of 1985, a multi-district project was undertaken with a display at the Southern Spring Show. Approximately 800 sq. ft. of exhibit displayed conservation on urban and agricultural areas. The exhibit involved plants such as corn, trees, grass and others. The show drew over 100,000 people.
  • From a $15,000 State grant, the District produced three videos on soil and water conservation: Our Agricultural Resource Base, Soil As A Resource, and Cleaner Water Through Soil Conservation.
  • In 1989, the District, for the first time, put up SWCD signs on major roadways coming into the District.
  • For the past 30 years, the District has sold tree seedlings to county residents. The highest number sold in one year was 21,000 seedlings.
  • In 2000, the District hired an Urban Conservationist; the first of its kind in North Carolina.

Address

Office Location:


2145 Suttle Avenue
Charlotte,
NC 28208

MAP

Contact

Anganette Byrd
704-336-2455