Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

​Paper Lawn and Leaf Bags 


Mecklenburg County has large Kraft paper bags to give away for residents to use for Yard Debris.  All of the curbside collection companies know that you can use these bags.  We prefer that if you must use a bag, PLEASE USE A PAPER BAG instead of plastic bags for your yard debris.

Yard Waste Bags.JPG

These large paper bags are compostable in our process and can be used in the City of Charlotte and every town in Mecklenburg County.  Plastic bags do not compost, and leave a mess with the finished product.  Kraft paper bags are available at multiple places, and that includes all Meck County Drop Centers. So please, stop by one of Mecklenburg County's Full Service Drop Centers to get a few free large paper lawn & leaf bags. 

Some Municipal Partners have bags available, such as: 

- The City of Charlotte Solid Waste Office, located at 1200 Otts Street on a 1st come, 1st serve basis every Friday from 12 PM to 3 PM. 

YW Shed.jpg

Use these paper bags FOR LEAVES, GRASS CLIPPINGS, & YARD WASTE ONLY.  Other alternatives to plastic bags include using separate cans or devices such as the Leaf Burrito (TM) that separately hold lawn materials and don't cause pollution to our processing systems.

Residents of Mecklenburg County can contact their Municipal Town Hall or visit any of the four Full Service Recycling Center to claim your 10-free bags.  Help us protect our environment from plastic polluiton!


Office Location:

2145 Suttle Avenue
Charlotte, NC 28208


Hours: Disposal Site Hours Mon-Sat  7 a.m. - 4 p.m.


General Inquiries
311 or 980-314-3867

close alertCounty services are operating at a limited capacity. Questions about COVID-19? Call Public Health Hotline: 980-314-9400