Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

​Salv​age and Reuse of C&D Materials

Construction and Demolition Recycling in Mecklenburg County

Mecklenburg County is committed to reducing the amount of waste that is landfilled every year.

What you CAN Salvage and Reuse
Stone, brick and block
Metal framing
Windows, doors, cabinets
Faucets, sinks toilets, bathtubs
Moulding, columns, mantles
Plumbing and fittings
Pallets, siding
Wood beams
Some cuts of lumber, plywood
Leftover paint, glues, solvents, caulk

Places to take reusables
Habitat ReStores accept used building materials from remodeling, deconstruction and demolition projects. Many items are accepted including doors, windows, cabinets, plumbing, tile, furniture and some appliances. Items/materials must be suitable for resale. Pickup is sometimes available. Call ReStore for details or check out the website.

Habitat Re-Store
3326 Wilkinson Blvd. or
1133 N. Wendover Rd.
Charlotte, NC
Donation Hotline 704-392-4495

Relocation/Reuse of Structures

The ultimate waste reduction tactic might be to consider relocation of a structure rather than deconstruction or demolition. In certain cases, a building can be moved to a different location and reused for its original purpose or renovated for another purpose. A turn-of-the-century farmhouse could be moved and renovated for office space.

Many factors can play into this decision: the type and value of the structure, the cost and feasibility of having it moved, the availability of suitable land, the demand for continued use and the anticipated cost of renovation. It is important to note that cost is not always the determining factor. If historical or architectural factors exist, historic preservation experts should be contacted and may be of assistance to those interested in evaluating these options.

The following contacts and/or information may apply:

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission
2100 Randolph Road
Charlotte, NC

International Association of Structural Movers

Before contracting with a company to move a structure, it is important to make sure they are licensed through the Department of Transportation's Oversize and Overweight Permitting Division. They can be reached at 919-733-4740.

Mecklenburg County requires permits for relocation of a structure. Vi​sit for more information.

Local companies are listed in the Yellow Pages under "House & Building Moving, Leveling, & Raising" 

Why Recycle?

Construction Resource Guide



Office Location:

2145 Suttle Avenue
Charlotte, NC 28208


Hours: Disposal Site Hours Mon-Sat 7 a.m - 4 p.m.


General Inquiries
311 or 980-314-3867