Send an Email
*PLEASE NOTE: Effective January 13, ANY VOLUNTEER PROJECTS/PROGRAMS SCHEDULED THROUGH FEBRUARY 2nd HAVE BEEN CANCELLED due to the current Public Health directive!
WE LOOK FORWARD TO A YEAR OF JOY, HOPE, PROGRESS AND OPPORTUNITY!
THE NUMBERS ARE IN FOR 2020...In the face of the MANY challenges of this past year, "numbers" alone don't tell the whole story. It's true that 2295 Volunteers generously gave almost 16,600 HOURS during 2020 - with reports still coming in - but beyond that:
THANK YOU TO ALL OF OUR AMAZING VOLUNTEERS for giving so much of your TIME, TALENTS, ENERGY, DEDICATION, CARE AND CONCERN FOR THE ENVIRONMENT, YOUR COMMUNITY AND YOUR NEIGHBORS!
Check out the updated JANUARY EDITION of the "VOLUNTEER NEWS" HERE:
VOLUNTEER NEWS Updated January 2021.pdf
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"WEED WARRIORS" at McDowell Nature Preserve - Meet the staff at McDowell Nature Center, 15222 South York Rd, 28278 to connect with people and nature...all while making a positive difference in the community by removing invasive plant species!
You must REGISTER for Weed Warriors at this link: Park & Recreation Volunteers: WEED WARRIORS
* QUESTIONS about "Weed Warriors"? Contact Ariel.Lowery@MeckNC.gov
"A WALK IN THE PARK" litter cleanups RETURN, BEGINNING FEBRUARY 16! >>> Every Tuesday at lunchtime, 11:00am-12:00, at locations around the County! You must REGISTER at this link:
Park & Recreation Volunteers: SPRING WALK IN THE PARK CLEANUPS
QUESTIONS? Contact Karen.Howard@MeckNC.gov
NEW IN FEBRUARY: TRASH TRACKERS! Explore
a different location each month while you connect with people and nature, all
the while making a positive difference in our community by removing trash from
our Nature Preserves and Parks! Each cleanup project will take place from 10:00am
YOU MUST PRE-REGISTER AT THIS LINK: Park & Recreation Volunteers: TRASH TRACKERS
Contact Ariel.Lowery@MecklenburgCountyNC.gov if you have questions!
SCOUT PROJECT INFORMATION Jun2020.pdf
SCOUT PROJECTS Staff Approved Nov2020.pdf
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
- If you would like to schedule a GROUP PROJECT in a Park for your company, church, Scout troop, university, club, neighborhood association or community group...PLEASE CONTACT US! We will be happy to arrange a date beginning in February, 2021. Karen.Howard@MeckNC.gov *Social distancing and any other health recommendations will continue to be observed!*
- If you have already registered as a Coach or other ongoing Volunteer position, remember that your application will remain in force for a full year; and that you will be welcome to Volunteer with us in the new year, once facilities have reopened and sports can begin. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
We will do our best to post any changes in a timely manner - contact Karen.Howard@MeckNC.gov or call 980-314-1046 if you have any questions about upcoming Volunteer opportunities. Thank you!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
QUESTIONS ABOUT VOLUNTEERING? CONTACT US at: VolunteerServices@MeckNC.gov We LOVE our Volunteers, and we want to make it EASY for you to come and help your community! Here are a couple of things you need to know:
- For some Volunteer opportunities, you need to enroll in our Volunteer Program - enrollment includes an on-line application and a background check. For Volunteer Screening Guidelines click on the link below. You MUST register/enroll in the Volunteer Program to be a Coach for any sport; or to assist with an ongoing program on a regular basis (Example: tutoring once a week, teaching ESL). To enroll in the Volunteer Program, please contact us at VolunteerServices@MeckNC.gov
- You do NOT need to enroll in the Volunteer Program for one-day events or projects, or to help with a program ONE time, or for less than 10 hours total (Example: chaperoning ONE field trip for an after-school program; Volunteering for a Park project).
- Criminal record checks will be conducted for all applicants age 16 and up when enrolling in our volunteer program.
- Volunteers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult who is at least 21 years old.
- Volunteers working with Therapeutic & Inclusive Recreation Services must be at least 18 years old.
Volunteer Screening Process 11.30.20.pdf
County services are operating at a limited capacity. Questions about COVID-19? Call Public Health Hotline: 980-314-9400