Send an Email
On Earth Day (April 22) alone: 80 Volunteers worked at 4 different locations, collecting 103 bags of litter (approx. 2000 pounds!) and a wide variety of debris. There were also Volunteer events at Sugaw Creek Recreation Center and Bette Rae Thomas Recreation Center, attracting another 62 Volunteers who completed garden and beautification projects.
THE PARK PICKERS PROGRAM IS BACK!
Do you carry a plastic grocery bag with you everywhere? Do you collect the papers, bottles, cans, and Styrofoam that storms and people leave behind? Do you LOVE your Parks and want to help care for the environment? If you answered YES, YES, YES, then you are a PARK PICKER, and we'd like to THANK YOU!
CLICK HERE on the I'm a PARK PICKER! link and answer a few quick questions, so that we can see WHERE you helped out , WHEN you were there, and HOW MANY bags of litter you picked up! Post a photo and you may see yourself on our Instagram account (@meckparkrec).
P.S. – PLEASE stay safe in the Parks while you're "picking" – ALWAYS wear gloves, and NEVER handle anything sharp or hazardous! THANK YOU for being a PARK PICKER!
IT'S HERE! Check out the SUMMER EDITION of the VOLUNTEER NEWS:
VOLUNTEER NEWS June-July 2022.pdf
Visit our user-friendly Volunteer registration site at:
Park & Recreation Volunteer CONNECT (Brought to you by Galaxy Digital)
Look for all your favorite Volunteer opportunities on Volunteer CONNECT:
Contact VolunteerServices@MecklenburgCountyNC.gov for more information
A great way to spend an hour FIRST THING IN THE MORNING on Tuesdays, 8:00-9:00AM, getting outdoors and helping in your community. A wonderful way to start your day - Beat the heat and REGISTER AT THIS LINK: Park and Recreation VOLUNTEER CONNECT > Opportunities
Have you had a GREAT TIME Volunteering with Park & Recreation? WE'D LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT IT! Click on this link to complete our quick-and-easy survey:
Park & Recreation Volunteer Survey
SCOUT PROJECT INFORMATION Feb2021.pdf
SCOUT PROJECTS Staff Approved Nov2021.pdf
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
- If you would like to schedule a GROUP PROJECT in a Park for your company, church, Scout troop, university, club, neighborhood association or community group...PLEASE CONTACT US! Park projects can be scheduled from now through June - we do NOT schedule group projects or Saturday projects in July due to crowded conditions and hot weather. CONTACT: Karen.Howard@MeckNC.gov
*Social distancing and any other health recommendations will continue to be observed!*
We will do our best to post any changes in a timely manner - contact Karen.Howard@MeckNC.gov or call 980-314-1046 if you have any questions about upcoming Volunteer opportunities. Thank you!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>> To request a modification based on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact Therapeutic & Inclusive Recreation Services staff at 980-314-1192 or email TRInfo@MeckNC.gov
QUESTIONS ABOUT VOLUNTEERING? CONTACT: VolunteerServices@MeckNC.gov We LOVE our Volunteers, and we want to make it EASY for you to come and help your community! Here are a couple of things you need to know:
- For some Volunteer opportunities, you need to enroll in our Volunteer Program - enrollment includes an on-line application and a background check. For Volunteer Screening Guidelines click on the link below.
- You MUST register/enroll in the Volunteer Program to be a Coach for any sport; or to assist with an ongoing program on a regular basis, IN PERSON OR VIRTUALLY (Example: tutoring once a week, teaching ESL). To receive the application link, if needed, please contact VolunteerServices@MeckNC.gov
- You do NOT need to enroll in the Volunteer Program for one-day events or projects, or to help with a program ONE time, or for less than 10 hours total (Example: chaperoning ONE field trip for an after-school program; Volunteering for a Park project).
- Background checks will be conducted for all applicants age 16 and up when enrolling in our volunteer program.
- Volunteers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult who is at least 21 years old.
- Volunteers working with Therapeutic & Inclusive Recreation Services must be at least 18 years old.
Volunteer Screening Process 11.30.20.pdf