Send an Email
APRIL IS NATIONAL VOLUNTEER MONTH,
and we say THANK YOU for everything our wonderful
Volunteers have done to help during the past year!
It's been a tough time for so many…but our friends and neighbors have been visiting the Parks in record numbers, and HUNDREDS of Volunteers have continued to keep the Parks, Nature Preserves and Greenways healthy and beautiful!
WE THANK YOU WITH ALL OUR HEARTS!
WE HAVE A WINNER in our Winter Photo Contest! Long-time volunteer Joanne Shea submitted this STUNNING
photo of Gar Creek, at the canoe access in Latta Nature Preserve. THANK YOU for sharing this amazing photo of your favorite place, Joanne!
Check out more photos, Volunteer opportunities and SO MUCH MORE in the
APRIL 2021 EDITION OF THE "VOLUNTEER NEWS"!
VOLUNTEER NEWS April 2021.pdf
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
NEW!!! "PARK PICKERS" - Do you carry a plastic grocery bag with you everywhere? Do
you collect the papers, bottles, cans, and Styrofoam that storms and people
leave behind? Do you LOVE your Parks and want to help care for the
environment? If you answered YES, YES, YES, then you are a PARK PICKER, and
we’d like to THANK YOU!
CLICK on the “I’m a PARK PICKER” link below and
answer a few quick questions, so that we can see WHERE you helped out and HOW
MANY bags of litter you picked up! Post a photo and you may see yourself on our
Instagram account (@meckparkrec). P.S. – PLEASE stay safe in the Parks while you’re “picking”
– ALWAYS wear gloves, and NEVER handle anything sharp or hazardous!
THANK YOU for being a PARK PICKER!
I'm a PARK PICKER!
"A WALK IN THE PARK" litter cleanups are in full swing! >>> Every Tuesday at lunchtime, 11:00am-12:00, at locations around the County! You must REGISTER at this link:
Park & Recreation Volunteers: SPRING WALK IN THE PARK CLEANUPS
QUESTIONS? Contact Karen.Howard@MeckNC.gov
Come and join the TRASH TRACKERS! Explore
a different location each month while you connect with people and nature, all
the while making a positive difference in our community by removing trash from
our Nature Preserves and Parks! Each cleanup project will take place from 10:00am
YOU MUST PRE-REGISTER AT THIS LINK: Park & Recreation Volunteers: TRASH TRACKERS
Contact Ariel.Lowery@MecklenburgCountyNC.gov if you have questions!
SCOUT PROJECT INFORMATION Feb2021.pdf
SCOUT PROJECTS Staff Approved Nov2020.pdf
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
- If you would like to schedule a GROUP PROJECT in a Park for your company, church, Scout troop, university, club, neighborhood association or community group...PLEASE CONTACT US! We will be happy to arrange a date beginning in March, 2021. Karen.Howard@MeckNC.gov *Social distancing and any other health recommendations will continue to be observed!*
- If you have already registered as a Coach or other ongoing Volunteer position, remember that your application will remain in force for a full year; and that you will be welcome to Volunteer with us in the new year, once facilities have reopened and sports can begin. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
We will do our best to post any changes in a timely manner - contact Karen.Howard@MeckNC.gov or call 980-314-1046 if you have any questions about upcoming Volunteer opportunities. Thank you!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>> To request a modification based on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact Therapeutic & Inclusive Recreation Services staff at 980-314-1192 or email TRInfo@MeckNC.gov
QUESTIONS ABOUT VOLUNTEERING? CONTACT: VolunteerServices@MeckNC.gov We LOVE our Volunteers, and we want to make it EASY for you to come and help your community! Here are a couple of things you need to know:
- For some Volunteer opportunities, you need to enroll in our Volunteer Program - enrollment includes an on-line application and a background check. For Volunteer Screening Guidelines click on the link below.
- You MUST register/enroll in the Volunteer Program to be a Coach for any sport; or to assist with an ongoing program on a regular basis, IN PERSON OR VIRTUALLY (Example: tutoring once a week, teaching ESL). To receive the application link, if needed, please contact VolunteerServices@MeckNC.gov
- You do NOT need to enroll in the Volunteer Program for one-day events or projects, or to help with a program ONE time, or for less than 10 hours total (Example: chaperoning ONE field trip for an after-school program; Volunteering for a Park project).
- Criminal record checks will be conducted for all applicants age 16 and up when enrolling in our volunteer program.
- Volunteers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult who is at least 21 years old.
- Volunteers working with Therapeutic & Inclusive Recreation Services must be at least 18 years old.
Volunteer Screening Process 11.30.20.pdf
County services are operating at a limited capacity. Questions about COVID-19? Call Public Health Hotline: 980-314-9400