Send an Email
MARCH 26, 2020: The Mecklenburg County Manager has issued a Stay-At-Home order, effective beginning TODAY, March 26 at 8:00am and in effect through April 16. We strongly encourage all of our patrons and amazing Volunteers to take every precaution during this unfortunate situation - our top priority is to keep everyone safe and healthy! ALL Recreation Centers, Nature Centers and Senior Centers are CLOSED to the public during this time.
THANK YOU TO ALL OF OUR FANTASTIC VOLUNTEERS for taking so much PRIDE in YOUR Park & Recreation Department! We couldn't do what we do without YOU!
- If you would like to schedule a group project in a Park later this year (Summer or Fall) for your company, church, Scout troop, university, neighborhood association or community group...PLEASE CONTACT US! We will be happy to arrange a tentative date for you. Karen.Howard@MeckNC.gov
- The Youth Track & Field season, along with the Track & Field Meets, are now CANCELLED. Youth Baseball has also been CANCELLED for this Spring.
- Due to Recreation Center closures (and now the Stay-At-Home order), the beginning of Indoor Soccer has also been delayed (and may be cancelled); and ALL PROGRAMS AT RECREATION CENTERS HAVE BEEN CANCELLED THROUGH APRIL 30!
- Volunteer opportunities at McDowell Nature Center/Preserve have been cancelled: Plant Sale (April 18) and Weed Warriors (April 25).
- If you have already registered as a Coach or other ongoing Volunteer position, remember that your application will remain in force for a full year; and that you will be welcome to Volunteer with us later in the year, as soon as facilities are reopened.
We will do our best to post any changes in a timely manner - contact Karen.Howard@MeckNC.gov or call 980-314-1046 if you have any questions about upcoming Volunteer opportunities. Thank you!
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: 2 shifts: 8:00AM-1:00PM or 12:30PM-5:00PM - Please specify a shift: AM, PM or All Day when registering!
NUMBER OF VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: 20 TO 30 PER SHIFT
Discover what McDowell Nature Preserve has to offer, at the Outdoor Adventure Day! Attendees can kayak or stand-up paddleboard on scenic Lake Wylie; hunt "treasure," hike and hone their orienteering skills in the Preserve; strike a pose with a Certified Outdoor Yoga Instructor on land or water! This event is open to outdoor enthusiasts and weekend warriors alike. VOLUNTEERS will help with set-up and clean-up of the event; assisting staff with gear and running booths; assisting with plant sale by helping customers select, gather and/or carry plants. Snacks and refreshments will be provided! Please dress in layers to be outdoors; wear sturdy, closed-toe shoes; bring a hat and sunscreen! Volunteers should be at least 16 years old - anyone under 18 must be with a parent/adult.
Contact VolunteerServices@MeckNC.gov or Melissa.OLenick@MecklenburgCountyNC.gov to sign up!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
THE "VOLUNTEER NEWS" IS UNDER REVISION AT THIS TIME...
Watch this space for updates, or contact Karen.Howard@MeckNC.gov to find out what's coming up!
We LOVE our Volunteers, and we want to make it EASY for you to come and help your community! Here are a couple of things you need to know:
- For some Volunteer opportunities, you need to enroll in our Volunteer Program - enrollment includes an on-line application and a background check. For Volunteer Screening Guidelines click on the link below. You MUST register/enroll in the Volunteer Program to be a Coach for any sport; or to assist with an ongoing program on a regular basis (Example: tutoring once a week, teaching ESL). To enroll in the Volunteer Program, please contact VolunteerServices@MeckNC.gov
- You do NOT need to enroll in the Volunteer Program for one-day events or projects, or to help with a program ONE time (Example: chaperoning ONE field trip for an after-school program; Volunteering for a Saturday project).
Please note: Criminal record checks are to be conducted on all applicants over the age of 16 when enrolling in our volunteer program. Volunteers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult who is at least 21 years old. Volunteers working with Therapeutic & Inclusive Recreation Services must be at least 18 years old.
Volunteer Screening Guidelines
March 30, 2020
March 29, 2020
March 28, 2020
at William Davie Park... at 6:00PM
at Carolina Room, Administrative... at 6:00PM
at McDowell Nature... at 10:00AM
Health Alert: To prevent spread of COVID-19, County services are operating at a limited capacity.