Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Business/Commercial Solid Waste Frequently Asked Questions

Mecklenburg County is home to a wide variety of businesses and companies, ranging from office buildings to construction sites. The County does not provide collection services for businesses, companies, or residential establishments.

Any business that generates 16 cubic yards or more of trash per week, and has more than 500 pounds of corrugated cardboard and/or 500 pounds of office paper per month, must recycle the cardboard and/or office paper.  There are exemptions to this rule.

The Mecklenburg County Solid Waste Department offers commercial drop-off centers ,  as well as full service and self service recycling centers to businesses located in Mecklenburg County.

Businesses can self-haul solid waste and bulky trash to any of the four full service centers. Fees and size limitations apply

Items such as dimensional lumber, plywood, brick, block, carpet and padding, shingles, windows, doors, fiberglass bath fixtures, tile, ceramic etc. that come from the construction or tear down of a structure.
Items such as furniture, mattresses, box springs, lamps, large pieces of Styrofoam, cloth, etc.that will not fit into your curbside trash cart, and/or may come from inside a structure or yard, such as a lawnmower, plastic dog house, water hose, ceramic planters,  etc. and is not on the accepted recycling list.
  •  office paper
  • cardboard
  • pizza boxes
  • magazines
  • newspapers 
  • phonebooks
  • empty aerosol cans
  • milk and juice cartons
  • aluminum cans
  • steel cans
  • tin cans
  • glass bottles
  • plastic bottles (with necks).

Mecklenburg County Solid Waste hosts commercial hazardous waste collection events for businesses that generate less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste and less than 2.2 pounds of acute hazardous waste each month.  More information on these events can be found on the Business and Commercial Hazardous Waste page. The County DOES NOT collect office and commercial business hazardous waste at the full-service centers. 

  • North Mecklenburg Recycling Center
    12300 N. Statesville Road, Charlotte, NC 28078
    Hours: Monday - Saturday; 7am - 4pm
  •  Hickory Grove Recycling Center
    8007 Pence Road, Charlotte, NC 28215
    Hours: Monday - Saturday; 7am - 4pm
  •  Foxhole Recycling Center
    17131 Lancaster Highway, Charlotte, NC 28277
    Hours: Monday - Saturday; 7am - 4 pm
  •  Compost Central and Recycling Center
    140 Valleydale Road, Charlotte, NC 28214
    Hours: Monday - Saturday; 7am - 4pm
 Fees are involved and subject to change without notice

Please find the list of haulers here.

Phone: (704) 821-7578

The ABC  Recycling Law requires the recycling of bottles and glass from entities that hold an ABC License. To find out more information about Mecklenburg County ABC Permit Holders, click here.

It applies to:

  • on-premises malt beverage permits
  • on-premise unfortified wine permits
  • mixed beverage permits
  • on-premise fortified wine permits

Please visit the North Carolina Division of Pollution Prevention and Environmental Assistance’s website or call them at (800) 763-0136 for more detailed information.  HB 1518 is managed by the North Carolina ABC Commission.  Mecklenburg County does not provide collection services for ABC permit or other businesses, companies, or residential establishments. 


Office Location:

2145 Suttle Avenue
Charlotte, NC 28208


Hours: Disposal Site Hours Mon-Sat  7 a.m. - 4 p.m.


General Inquiries
311 or 980-314-3867