Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

​Commercial Technical Assistance Center

Scope of Services

CTAC is aimed at providing technical code assistance with anyone involved in a commercial project, including the owner, developer, architect, engineer, or contractor. It is not intended to be a second opinion on a code interpretation already given by a plans examiner or field inspector. Questions can be answered before the permitting process begins. After you've entered the preliminary code review or permit application process, the interpretations of your plans examiner or field inspector prevail. 

CTAC provides the following services:


Do you have questions about the commercial code?

Call the Commercial Technical Assistance Center, 980-314-0916


Send your questions to one of these CTAC Plans Examiners at ctac@

Commercial customers may also visit CTAC at the Mecklenburg County Building Development Center, 2145 Suttle Avenue Charlotte, NC 28208, between the hours of 8:00AM and 5:00PM, Monday through Friday, except on designated Mecklenburg County holidays.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How are plumbing fixture requirements calculated for a project?  The first step is to determine Occupancy load of the space using Table 1004.1.2 in the NC Building code. Once this is established, review Section 403 of the NC Plumbing Code along with table 403.1 to determine your minimum fixture count.

  • Do I need a permit to install low voltage wiring (phone & data, fire alarm, HVAC control wiring, etc.) in Mecklenburg County?  Yes, you will need to submit an Electrical permit application. If there are different contractors installing low voltage wiring, each contractor will need to submit separate permit applications. If this wiring is part of a larger overall project under construction, the Electrical permit application will need to have the six (6) digit county project number of the larger project.

  • How do I obtain a permit to set up a temporary sales center?  Go to the Electronic Plan Submittal & Review on small commercial projects web page for detailed information.

  • How do I call in for an inspection on my project?  Call the inspections department at 704-336-8000. Have your permit number ready.

  • Do I need a permit to build an ADA Accessible Ramp?  Yes. This type of project may go through the Small Commercial Project review process. The drawings should include an Appendix B, a site plan, and details of the ramp, handrails, etc.

  • Can I submit a project for CTAC review if my project is still out for bid (i.e.: contractors have not been selected)?  No, you must list your General Contractor and P, M, & E sub-contractors on your Building permit application when you submit for CTAC review.

  • What will my permit cost?  Follow this link to the Helpful Links web page and click on Permit Fee Estimator to calculate an estimated building permit fee. *** Additional Zoning, Health and Fire fees may apply.

  • How do I change the general contractor (GC) on my permit?  You will need to submit a Credit Refund Form and have your permit cancelled. Once this is done, come to CTAC with a copy of your APPROVED PLANS, or the project number of the approved project, and a completed Building Permit application. This function may also be accomplished through the contractor account. The new permit application must reference the previous permit number that was cancelled and the approved project number.

  • Do I need a permit to install a retaining wall?  Yes, if your wall is supporting 5' or more of fill. you will need to submit sealed drawings, a completed Building Permit application. The drawings should include an Appendix B, a site plan drawing showing the location of the wall(s), the Statement of Special Inspections, elevations, details sheet and a structural load sheet. If this wall is part of a larger overall project under constructions, the Building Permit application will need to have the six (6) digit county project number of the larger project.

Commercial Single-Trade Permits

Stand-alone permits for minor work not requiring plan review may be issued on a case-by-case basis. Commercial trade permits are handled through the Commercial Technical Assistance Center (CTAC). Customers may apply in person at our 1st Floor offices at 2145 Suttle Ave.  OR submit an on-line application through the contractor's dashboard. For in-person applications, the appropriate trade permit application form must be completed and signed. If the sub-permit is for work being performed on a project under construction, please bring a copy of the approved drawings or identify the approved project number  to verify the work being permitted. If the work being requested on the sub-permit application requires drawings, the customer will be notified and the customer will need to submit drawings for review. CTAC lobby staff will determine if the additional review will take place through OnSchedule Review or CTAC Review.

Plan review will not be required on a standalone electrical permit with a cost less than $5, 000.00.  This allowance will not apply for any project involving life safety systems, medical facilities, hazardous locations, electric car chargers or load changes where the calculations exceed 200 amps. For standalone electrical projects not requiring plan review, the contractor shall provide the department by electronic upload, on their letterhead, a signed definitive scope of work, a load calculation per the code and all necessary fault current information.

Standalone trade permits can also be applied for through the online Trade Internet Permitting (TIP) program. The  Trades Internet Permits (TIP) online process allows the contractor to enter details of the work being performed for projects that do not require a Building permit, pay the permit fee and print the permits. This process is for limited & specific project scopes, and the system will alert you if your scope requires you to apply using the standard permit application process.

Modular Construction Office Units

Temporary construction trailers or construction office units (single unit or multiple unit compounds w/ decks) do not require full plan review. The GC shall first acquire a Zoning Use Permit directly from Zoning. Then the Electrician shall apply for an Electrical Permit to hook up power to the unit. A plumbing permit is required if water and/or sewer will be hooked up to the modular unit. Accompanying the electrical permit application is a copy of the Zoning Use Permit,  and a letter on the GC's letterhead stating that the trailer is to be used exclusive by construction personnel & by personnel directly associated to the project ‐ Not for Public Use or Sales. The GC shall also post signage on site stating that the trailer is Not for Public Use or Sales.

Interior Demolition Permits

Interior Demolition permits for commercial work are issued through the CTAC program. Interior Demolition is the demolition of interior components that do not affect rated assemblies and/or load bearing walls.  Customers will need to complete a building permit application, include sub-contractors for any trade (E, M, or P) that has elements also being removed, and submit this application to CTAC online or in person. There is NO new work, removal of structural components, or build back allowed to occur under the permits issued for interior demolition.

Total Demolition Permits

Total Demolition permits for commercial structures are also issued through the CTAC program. Customers need to apply for a building permit, and submit completed versions of the forms listed below. It is recommended that Customers apply for a Total Demo project through their Contractor account online. These permit may also be applied for on paper in-person, however there is an additional administrative fee charged for submitted in this way.


Neshap Form On this link, scroll to Notifications and click the NESHAP Notification of Demolition and/or Renovation form.

Health Department On this link, click the Demo/Move Permits for information on demolition and to obtain forms.

If you are disturbing more than one acre or the property is within a swim buffer, contact Soil Erosion.

Construction and Demolition Recycling - Find out what you can recycle and reuse. Visit our C&D website for more information.

​​​Fire Repair and Restoration Projects

When preparing to permit commercial fire/water repair and restoration projects, the scope of the work will determine what permits are required and whether a full plan review will be necessary prior to issuing permits.

If the project is in a residential apartment, condo, or any other R-2 or R-3 use, constructed under the Commercial Building Code, please refer to our Fire Restoration Project Procedures document​. The 2018 Appendix B must be included in its entirety with you submittal. However, due to the nature of a fire/water repair and restoration project the following sections may not be applicable: Allowable Area, Allowable Height, Life Safety System Requirements, Life Safety Plan Requirements, Structural Design, Accessible Parking, & Accessible Dwelling Units. Note: Accessible Dwelling Units must be identified and illustrated if they are within the scope of your project.

If the project is in any other type of commercial building or space, the process will be the same as a renovation project. 


Helpful References:

The Span Charts associated with yellow pine lumber have been modified. Please review the following amended span tables prior to designing your project.

Amended residential span tables form chapters 5 & 8 

Supplements to girder and header span tables for #2 Southern Pine

Amended commercial span tables from chapter 23

Supplements to girder and header span tables for #2 southern pine 

Appendix B 2018  As listed on N.C. Department of Insurance website. Look for 2018 Building Code Summary - Appendix B, available in Word and PDF formats.

Requirements Regarding the Use of Professional Seals and the Practice of Architecture and Engineering in the State of North Carolina.


Key Contacts:

Project Coordinators: 980-314-2633, then enter the following sequence of numbers; 1, 2, 1, 2.

Charles Walker, PE - Program Manager

Scott Westbrook, Senior Plans Examiner

Project Coordinators:  Masika Edwards

Project Controllers:  Anna Rayfield, Mark Winslow

Plans Examiners: Brian Atwell, Nicholas Gripp, Shazia Khan, Ken Kiser, Kari Lanning, Calvin Laton, Charles McNeilly, Joseph Sandridge, Craig Sloop


rev. 3/25/19

close alert Health Alert: To prevent spread of COVID-19, County services are operating at a limited capacity.